Sunday, February 28, 2021

Between nepotism and privilege

On 18th February 2021, social media went crazy when Arjun Tendulkar was selected by the Mumbai Indians in the IPL Auction. There are (as usual) polarized opinions about this. Depending on who you talk to, you will either hear that Arjun has been selected only on the basis of his father or that Arjun is a tremendously hard-working youngster who deserves this chance completely. I feel that the circumstances are more nuanced and there are multiple truths to this namely:-

1) Mumbai Indians have seen Arjun closely in the past few seasons. They think he shows great promise and want to develop him. This is not the first time they have taken such chances with uncapped players.

2) Arjun is extremely privileged. He has had many doors being opened very willingly purely because of his father, one of them being able to train with the Mumbai Indians team which has led to his selection.

There is no doubt that Arjun is extremely talented and hard-working. You cannot play for India Under-19 or even for Mumbai if you do not possess both these qualities. At the same time there is no doubt that he is extremely privileged to have perhaps the greatest cricketer of all time as his father. This gives him access not only to a fantastic cricketing brain but also to other great players. There are tens and thousands of extremely talented and hard working youngsters in Mumbai but how many will get access to bowl in the Mumbai Indians and India nets? How many can get Zaheer Khan and Mahela Jayawardena as unofficial mentors? How many can get to bowl at international batsman, see how they play, practice and train on and off the field? This is all due to privilege and that must be acknowledged. 

I myself have been a beneficiary of this privilege in my professional life albeit at a much smaller scale. Apart from the privileges of being a male, cisgender, heterosexual, Hindu, upper caste and upper class, I am also the son of parents who were and are at extremely senior management positions in the IT industry. I love and respect my parents. They place a very high value on honesty and integrity. They were sure for their and my sake that we should not work in the same organization at the same time. Even while sending the resumes of me and my classmates for a project in the final year of my engineering, my father explicitly told his ex-colleagues that we should not get any special preference and should go through the same evaluation process as everyone else. Alas, that did not happen. We were literally asked to choose from 3 projects that we could work on. We chose one, worked really hard and were eventually offered an internship for 9 months after we graduated. I am in no way doubting the hard work we put in but the doors were opened because of my privilege. 7 years later when I was searching for a new job, I happened to meet my father's friend at a party. We got talking about my career plans and a month later I was asked if I would like to interview at his company. The friend, also being of extremely high integrity, ensured that he was nowhere involved in the selection process. I went through 3 rounds of interviews and was eventually selected. I have no doubt that I would have been rejected had the interview not gone well but again the doors were opened due to privilege.

The acknowledgement of all kinds of privilege is where most Indians struggle. One of the recurring themes of the Bollywood nepotism debate a few years ago was star kids vehemently stating that they work as hard as everyone else so why should they be called out. As Ankur Pathak correctly pointed out in a Huffington Post article, the difference is that star kids can afford to churn out one flop after another and still get films but outsiders are lucky to get even one chance to prove themselves. Siddhant Chaturvedi put it so aptly in this video, "difference yehi hai ki jahan humaare sapne poore hote hain, wahan inka struggle shuru hota hain".

11 comments:

  1. It takes guts and humility to acknowledge if you are born with some privileges. Proud of you, Vineet. Your comments are very apt. I hope Arjun can prove himself just like you did. The privilege can get you an entry, but to stay there you need to be good, work hard and show results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice blog post but I humbly disagree. I don't think Arjun is talented et-all. I am not saying he is not hard working but definitely he is not talented. Atleast not as talented as the many more who went unsold in this past Auction. Also differ with the aspect that getting selected means he must be good, we all know that has never been the case in Indian cricket, several examples that you must have seen in the past. He has been trained by Wasim Akram and the likes, yet he has hardly a performance of note.

    That being said I hope he proves me wrong and quashes this argument of nepotism with his "skills".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have a misplaced faith in the system but I do believe that had Arjun not been talented he would not have been selected for Mumbai Under-16, Under-19 and for the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 trophy. His performance for Mumbai Under-19 has been quite good too. Granted that many others have been equally good or better but this is where his privilege helped him with the access to be 'seen' by the MI management.

      Delete
  3. Hey Vineet
    I think you have proved to be worthy of the break at the entry....lets see what Arjun Tendulkar does...to be honest I am a bit skeptical...remembering Rohan Gavaskars career...nice blog Vineet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having never seen him play, I have no idea if he's talented. Can someone be selected for U-19 and Mumbai without the *requisite* talent? If privileged enough, yes. MI picked him up after nobody else was interested even at rock bottom, and the auction was in its last minutes. Zaheer (at the bidding table) and Sachin go back a long long way. And 20L is peanuts not just for the franchise, but for the player too. No-brainer all the way. If he actually gets a game, we'll know the reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't let a Tendulkar be labelled 'Unsold'.

      Delete
    2. True. The selection was due to privilege. But I do believe that it would have been hard to be selected for Mumbai Under-16, Under-19 and for the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 trophy had he not been talented.

      Delete
  5. Very well written Vineet, and such a nuanced topic to handle.... Being born to the illustrious isn't the fault of the child. We indeed should try to institutionalise equality of opportunity and let outcome take its course; easier said than done. Personally, I have no interest in cricket, but it certainly seems to me, that children following (or trying to) their accomplished parents isn't an unalloyed blessing. And Vinnet, I won't be surprised, if you, like me, also harbour a bit, a wish for the Federer twins to sweep all before them: the singles, doubles and mixed as well in a dozen years; But what a burden to bear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Srinivas! That will be great to watch indeed. I agree that it is a blessing and a curse. While you do get a lot of access and privileges that others do not, there is a lot of pressure to live up to the previous generation.

      Delete
  6. Hi Vineet,
    Thanks for sharing your views on this subject. Very well written and expressed.
    Nepotism and privileges' have existed throughout history across generations, cultures, political spectrums so on and so forth. Also, inspite of the worldwide over zealous push to fight privileges' in recent times which have also at times reached the point of absurdity and reverse discrimination, I do not expect nepotism and privileges' to go away any times soon. If anything it might become more 'discreet' and less 'in your face'. The only hope I have is that anyone after getting the position due to privelege, stays there purely based on skill and more importantly performances and results. As in the case of Arjun, the pressure is even more, because a poor first game will retrigger 'he should not have been there in the first place', 'drop him' etc. I hope he gets a few games and his performances will speak for itself. Looking ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and just to add, while the results of Arjun Tendulkar and the actors are in the public domain and can be debated and even influenced to a certain degree by public opinion, my hope lays more in places where the results are not known to the common folk but only to a few decision makers (companies for example). It is in these cases that I still have the hope (in most cases) that performance and results will lead the way and a weak performer inspite of 'connections' will be weeded out.

    ReplyDelete