Monday, April 7, 2014

The Secularist's Conundrum

On Monday, 7th April 2014, India will begin it's longest and according to many people the most important election since Independence. The pre-election opinion polls have confirmed the 'Modi wave' and the lotus seems to be blooming. 

There is no doubt in my mind that from the point of view of development, economics, jobs etc. BJP is the best party for India. The Congress, AAP and Third Front don't even come close. Narendra Modi's Gujrat model, track record and proven credentials as mentioned very nicely in this article cannot be doubted. Sure there are questions about health, education, inclusive growth etc. but there is no doubt regarding the development. People who have been visiting or staying in Gujrat since the last decade and dealing with its extremely efficient bureaucracy say the same things. Unlike Rahul Gandhi who is just talking and that too sparingly and Arvind Kejriwal who is only interested in activism, Narendra Modi has shown his merit time and time again. It is not easy to win 3 elections on a trot. I think that the Indian voters are quite clever and they always support development. I'm sure people of Gujrat wouldn't have voted for Modi unless there was a reason even leaving aside the polarization of votes. Even Modi haters (and there are many) need to appreciate these facts just like Modi lovers need to appreciate the fallibleness of their beloved leader. So the real and only question which remains is whether you can forgive or ignore or brush aside or neglect the incidents in Ayodhya 1992 and Godhra 2002? And that is the big conundrum faced by the secularists.

I have thought a lot about this and have gone back and forth, but I don't think I will be be able to just blank out the pogrom of 2002 and horrible riots of 1992. Recently Cobrapost released videos of a sting operation about the Babri Masjid demolition in '92. Basically, it proved what was known all along that BJP, Shiv Sena, VHP and Bajrang Dal leaders had planned the demolition and it was not a mob gone crazy as they claim. While BJP has cried foul over the timing of the sting, Pramod Muthalik is confused why BJP are denying their involvement and says the sting is completely true. Sanjay Raut has defiantly said that the fact that Shiv Sena and BJP had conspired to demolish the mosque is nothing new. Some of the details really shocked me, like the fact that there was a training cum brainwashing camp a month ago and they wanted some Hindus to die at the hands of the police so that it will prove to be a catalyst. Apparently Shiv Sena were planning to blow up the mosque using dynamites if petrol bombs and other techniques failed. More than 2000 people died in the resulting communal violence. This does not include loss of property and the tremendous blot on communal harmony. The 1993 bomb blasts were also done as a revenge to this incident.

Godhra and the resulting communal violence is another issue. It is true that the SIT appointed by the Supreme Court haven't been able to prove anything against Narendra Modi yet. But the fact remains that Modi has not shown adequate remorse nor did he take adequate action to stem the riots. It was a political move to polarize Hindu votes or worse a planned revenge. There has been a sting operation by Tehelka on this too where in people have confessed saying that the state helped them and supported them. Maya Kodnani, who was convicted and sentenced to 28 years in prison was till 2009 the Minister for Women and Child Development of Gujarat in Narendra Modi's BJP government. Whatever be the situation, the 2002 riots will be a huge blot on Modi's efficient governance.

India does not have a direct democracy so let's take Modi out of the picture. So the real question is whether you want to vote for BJP or not. My stance is that I am not willing to vote for BJP even though I think that they are the best party for India at this moment. The reason is that I cannot bring myself to vote for a party which came into prominence and power based on planned communal violence and a publicly anti-secular policy. Leaders who instigated the violence like L.K. Advani and Uma Bharti are still very much active in tihe BJP. Their ideology and hunger for power has cost thousands of innocent Indian lives and a double digit economic growth is not enough for me to forget that fact. Shiv Sena who came into prominence by beating up innocent South Indians, planned to blow up the Babri Masjid and have done everything they can to spread communal disharmony in India are the long term ally of BJP. There is no way I can vote for these kind of parties whatever be the big picture.

So what're the options while going for voting? Congress is definitely not one. Their shamefulness while dealing with scams, only populous moves and "convenient" secularism is not worth voting for. Plus, they have also actively contributed to the pogrom of Sikhs in 1984. The AAP is the biggest disappointment of the year. For me in Pune, the only option seems to be the People's Guardian Party whose candidate is Arun Bhatia. A clean and incorruptible guy who gets things done.

The reality is that Arun Bhatia won't win. I think that he will get even lesser votes than last time when many young voters voted for him and his campaign was really active. There is almost a certainty that the BJP and its present and future allies (new ones always come up after the results) will form the government. I am optimistic that the Indian media, the opposition and our leaders in and outside politics will keep the BJP in check. They might have no other option than showing inclusive growth and development to ensure that their government stays in power. So all is not lost. But in the end your vote is your choice. You have to make the choice whether you can forget the deeds of BJP in 1992 and the pogrom of 2002. If yes, go ahead with BJP. I cannot.

11 comments:

  1. I first got my vote in 1977 and obviously voted Janata Party. They blew it. Maybe not as idiotically as AAP just did, but they wasted a golden opportunity with their petty politics. Since then I have learnt not to vote for known idiots even if I believe them to be completely upright. So AAP is out. Naturally I cannot vote for a bunch bigots for the reasons so eloquently articulated by you. So BJP, SS, MNS etc are out. I want my country to survive, so Cong is out. Anyone willing to associate with MSY, Didi, Amma etc are of course out. So where does that leave me?

    Basically I will do what I have done every election since I got my vote. I will go for the most prominent candidate that I believe to be upright and who is not yet known to be an idiot. Every candidate I have backed has always lost (except 1977). But I refuse to select on the basis of estimated probability of victory. This is not the Derby or the 1000 Guineas, it is our national election. I may not live long enough to see my candidate win one day, but who knows, I just might. Gotta keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valid viewpoint and very well written. Each to his own. Arvind Kher's comment is saying almost the same thing. I too had my first vote is 1977 and voted for Subramaniam Swamy, who was the Janata Party candidate and won easily. Huge disappointment after that.

    Having said that, I have travelled to Gujarat almost 100 times in the last 7 years for work and I continue to be impressed by the relative cleanliness of the government, the basic necessities like power, roads, water etc. I have talked to several folks, including some that have seen NaMo do his work first-hand. Some of them were Muslims. Some others were die-hard communists and some were journos that were totally anti-Modi to begin with. All of them had only the most positive things to say about their first-hand experience with Modi, including his completely unbiased actions, particularly whether it was Muslims or otherwise.

    Hence, while I am very impressed with the arguments given, I am more likely to vote to get Modi to form a stable government. Probably the least of the many evils in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your arguments are very well put forth and completely valid. In my opinion, when any one of us casts his vote, he will most likely consider 2 factors.

    1. The candidate's past history (may be development work and criminal record and other such factors)

    2. The likelihood of the candidate to actually make a significant change to this country (could be in terms of development, law and order, security etc.)

    Based on the recent news feed, I suppose many people will shy away from voting for AAP.

    Considering all the recent events that have made big headlines (scams, issues regarding security for women), I would definitely think twice before spending my valuable vote on the Congress. Now, the Congress may not have directly orchestrated the 2002 riots or the 1992 demolition. But the question to ask is, can they really develop this country? Shouldn't we look for someone who can actually bring about a change? I agree that India is making progress. But if there is a man who can achieve better results, I think he deserves to be elected.

    All politicians have had their share of getting their hands dirty. I'm sure the Congress top shots aren't particularly clean either. In the end it's a question of where we draw the line. Every citizen of India has that choice.

    I'm not as well informed as the others in terms of politics so I will most likely consult people regarding my vote. But based on judgment as of now, I think voting to get Modi to form a government might be the least of all the evils.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well written article. Before our discussion and reading your email and blogs, I was quite pumped up about voting for BJP and giving Modi a chance. But now, I will have to think about my choice :)
    Obviously, I want peace and communal harmony. I think BJP realizes that they cannot afford to have riots during their rule and even Modi seems to have distanced himself from VHP/RSS etc in Gujurat. But nobody can be sure if they will renew their pro-Hindutva demands once they come into power. Baba's experience talking to different people in Gujurat gives me hope that the Modi led government will only focus on development. My in-laws have also had a very good experience living in Gujurat for the last few years.
    We need a change from Congress. Congress thinks that no matter how inefficient they are, they will still come to power. They need to sit in the opposition for 5 years at least and change their regressive thinking and feel the responsibility of doing good work.
    There is no third option, in my opinion. AAP has been a big disappointment.
    So I am leaning towards BJP, but I will have to think about my decision. And choosing the right candidate/party in this election is definitely a tough job for most people :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well written, very cohesive logical and compelling. hERE IS MY 2 CENTS WORTH.
    There are many issues before the country like development, governance, communal violence, corruption LGBT rights etc. One has to decide which are the top priorities and vote for candidates who can deliver the top priority items. In doing so one may have to sacrifice what is locally the best for what is nationally the optimal. Many times it so happens that what is best locally is nationally sub-optimal. In Parliamentary elections one should vote with national priorities in mind.
    So in my limited view "Ab ki baar Modi Sarkaar".

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was leaning towards Modi as he seems to have done a good job in Gujarat, but with hesitation, due to the communal past. Now you have made the choice more difficult than it already is!!! Thanks :\

    But, honestly, really well written! Better to think now than regret later!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much everyone for the comments so far. Obviously some of you agree with me, some don't and some disagree with hesitation. I guess that's the beauty of democracy. Your vote is your own and no one can take that from you. It is ultimately your choice who you vote for and what reasons you choose to do so. Whatever be the option chosen we all hope that India prospers on all fronts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So articulate and expressive.your blogs are always a pleasure to read. I also would like to vote for a good man like arun bhatia but also feel like giving bjp a chance as single individual can hardly do anything. I know he has this party peoples guardian but well...

    ReplyDelete
  10. A highly biased approach towards riots in India. Riots of any type communal or otherwise have very deep roots in history and should be understood based on history of the land and the society. Riots are not bad they clean up the system and society and expose the bad elements in the system, which no biased and confused English media can understand and wish away. Have you heard of Noakhali riots?

    ReplyDelete