Thursday, April 29, 2010

Good Luck!!

Hello! I am writing a post after such a long time that even classifying this as a writer's block will be a gross understatement! I thought it will be good idea to write a post before a whole year gets completed since the time the last one was written. Since I wanted a comfortable topic to resume after a long hiatus it had to be either food or cricket. Cricket would have also been a good topic since there's very less written about it apart from the IPLgate. But food gets precedence :)

For those of you who haven't yet figured out the connection between the title of the post and "food", I am referring to one of the best restaurants in the world - Cafe Good Luck. For those who still haven't got the chance to go to Good Luck I sympathize with you but whenever you come to Pune please go to Cafe Good Luck situated at Good Luck Chowk :P

I got "introduced" to Good Luck quite late actually. I remember it was about 5 years ago when I was in my Second Year in Engineering that I went with a couple of my friends for breakfast in Good Luck after Basketball practice. However since then Good Luck has always been synonymous with "breakfast". But its not limited only to breakfast.

Good Luck is one place where you can go for breakfast, brunch, lunch, tea, snacks, dinner or whatever reason or meal you can come up with. Whatever be the time or meal you'll always end up feeling full in the stomach and not much lighter in the pocket. Good Luck's waiters are the best in the world. Apart from being extremely friendly they also have the gift of getting the right order every time. One might think what's so great in getting the right order but when you have a group of people who chop and change the entire order in less than a minute it requires great skill to get the correct one. That too without getting it verified! However the waiters in the interior part are not as efficient. Its a standing joke among my friends that the waiters in the interior part are "interns" who graduate outside after training :)

Good Luck according to me is the restaurant which ranks #1 purely in terms of Return On Investment. There're are very few places in Pune now where you can have a complete meal of starters, main course and dessert and still end up paying less than Rs.100 per head. Of course I am talking of non-veg food here with no veg. dish apart from dessert being ordered.

Without further ado I present my list of favorite items in Good Luck. Please note they are not at all in order of preference. There are some things in the world which you cannot compare like "Sachin vs Bradman".

  • Tea and Bun Maska (Butter) - Good Luck's tea is the best in the world and it's made complete by having Bun Maska along with it
  • Cheese Masala Omlette
  • French Toast
  • Cream Chicken Dry - Better than KFC
  • Boneless Chicken Biryani
  • Goodluck Special Boneless - Best dish to have with Roomail Roti
  • Mutton Kheema
  • Fruit Funny - One of the best desserts you can have
They have also added some new items on their menu like Butter Chicken and Sukha Chicken but they're pending a second review which should mostly happen on the next Saturday or Sunday going by past record of going to Good Luck on every weekend come what may.

I have never ordered anything vegetarian in Good Luck apart from Bun Maska, Toast, Bread, Roti and desserts. If you are vegetarian then I would suggest you to go to Darshan which is the best only Veg. restaurant and deserves a separate post altogether. But if I have to suggest something for my only veg. friends it would be Cheese Tomato Grilled Sandwich.

I'm sure there're many delicious food items which have been missed by me in spite of being a regular at Good Luck since the last 5 years. The reason for this is one commonly used in cricket of "not wanting to disturb a winning combination" so please mention your favorite ones in your comment.

16 comments:

  1. AppA, shikanjabin aka mint cocktail visarlas ! (Shaunak - Interesting! ..hahaha)

    Ani atle waiters kiti Dhaa ahet hey kevhada khara ahe!!

    If anyone likes liver, then liver fry dry is also good. I personally dont like liver ..
    And also scrambled eggs are good .. meeth kami asata pan takla ki God lagta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mint cocktail is the best in the world too..coz nodoby else serves it!! :p

    and i should not have read this post at 9 pm without having dinner...my appetite just doubled!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food, Sachin, more food, more sports and Vineet Deshpande: would pretty much make a world in itself.

    Complain: You did not take me for breakfast there :)

    As for your writing, neat comeback. It took me a while to understand what interior refers to .. I was wondering interiors of Pune?? The following sentence does a good job of clarifying the context. Your passion for the topic is very well depicted with the words... as usual (i must say).

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Pup, I thought we lost you !! Good to have you back ! Good Luck makes its way to the "to-do" list for my Non-Puneri friends. Three things to add to what you said:

    - Chalo kebab.
    They have discontinued it recently.
    - Samosas (I think they serve meat samosas too)
    - I think there was another dessert along with Fruit funny. Custard something.

    While we can rave about Good Luck, hygiene is a serious concern. Not the best place to take your female counterparts. Smoking is allowed indoors, which is be a huge plus or minus depending on which side of the fence you are.

    Also, their Tea is not the best in the world. It is something you have to put up with.

    Best thing about it is the working hours: 6am to midnight (and back door entry for patrons beyond that) and of course the location.

    Me, Nakul and many such hungry hounds have had more than plenty meals there. Good on you to keep the tradition going.

    Keep writing.

    Cheers,
    Elk

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many times do you eat out in a month?
    Must be equal to the 100's scored by Sachin?
    and Discovery must be adding more to it.... isn't it?

    Anyways nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your comments..
    @Ajinkya and Shaunak - Sorry I forgot to mention the legendary Sekanjaben :D
    @Niyati - The world you describe will suit me perfectly. Unfortunately it has to be interspersed with office, work, exams etc .. We'll go for breakfast there definitely but take a look at RJ's comments following yours before agreeing :P
    @Elkya - Haven't tried the meat samosas but the small "patti" samosas are awesome. I think you're referring to Custurd pudding. I would have to disagree with you on the tea part. I think its really great. Too strong for your taste maybe ? :P And yes working hours are a huge plus though if anyone is making a back door entry / exit its best not to look in the surrounding washing area lest you want a reality check!
    @Abhijeet - Sachin is beating me as of now. Not due to me going out less but he's scoring centuries at will :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet some of our friends staying right behind GoodLuck (with a common wall) do not share your opinions. But will forward the link to them anyway, just in case they get interested.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good post.. We'll go tomorrow after the cricket match (if you can leave early from the venue)!!

    there's not much point in me writing the favorites (it'll almost be a repeat of your list)

    Many times we've started with the breakfast items and then also ended up with eating some lunch dishes..

    Can't imagine going to good luck and eating anything veg.. I remember Tejas once ordered some South Indian dish.. it's better to go to Wadeshwar/Roopali/Vaishali in that case..

    @Niyati - You want to come there and eat "Cheese Tomato Grilled Sandwich" ?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmm, thanks for the menu suggestions. i'll let you know how it goes, whenever that is. presumably all items are available all day.

    also, technically, on the chai controversy, what really counts is the maska. the bun is just a vehicle to carry the butter, and the tea is just to dilute the significance of the bun in the equation. really it's the maska - feel it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Arvind kaka - Ha ha .. I agree that the maska is critical :) But I've had the chai without bun-maska also some times ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. appa, u made me realize food might be the most important thing which can bring me home.. I am coming

    ReplyDelete
  12. @SanJay - Ha ha .. Whatever works man .. you haven't come back in a long long time so please do ..
    P.S. Kindly notice the correct spelling :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha..
    social networking can be hard on you!
    I appreciate that!I owe u one!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, Nitin, we have not used it much largely because I am - and most of us are - veggies and Goodluck is associated in our minds for non-veg. But I was surprised one day to find how great the veg biryani was. We have bought it more than once. And, Anupam lives off Goodluck, almost!
    Rawindra

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sir,

    It's hard to believe that you were introduced to Good Luck only 5 years ago. I completely agree with you about Good Luck's Value for Money.

    Good to see you back! \m/

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete